How To Do It
- Decide the poem’s theme. Here are some possible themes:
- Flowers, gardens, outdoors
- Love, marriage, family
- Take turns responding to the questions below. Use the responses to generate an original poem.
|Association question||“When you hear the word ‘tree’ what do you think of?”|
|Mood/feeling questions||“How does the tree make you feel?”; “What does it feel like to climb a tree?”|
|Sensory questions||“Tell me what you see?”; “What is the scent?”; “What does it taste/sound like?” “What do we want the tree’s colors to be?”|
|Imagination question||“What do we want to say to the tree?”; “What would it say back?”|
|Connection to own life question||“When you were a child, did you ….?”|
|Comparison/simile||“The leaves are red as….”|
|Other||“What does the tree give us?”|
- Share the poem by reading it aloud with emotions.
- Do you like the poem that you just created?
- What do you think of the process of creating a poem using the above questions?
- Did you enjoy creating the poem collaboratively or would you prefer to create it on your own? Try both ways using the above questions and see which you prefer.
- Will you share this poem with others? If so, with whom and when?